After spending a lot of time choosing the mattress of your choice, you might get irritated if the mattress goes wet. There are several tips for cleaning the stains as under:
1. For a dry stain:
- Wet the affected area but don’t remember not to saturate it: this is done for the dilution of the odour and strength of the stain. Wetness leads to spreading of the urine.
- Put borax over it: this is done to neutralise the odour of the urine. Ensure to cover the full area. The jury is out if the borax is toxic or not. Take care not to eat or leave it on your skin as it will irritate your skin just as baking soda.
- Rub the borax over the mattress: rub the borax over the stain well. It should get under the surface. You can use rubber gloves to avoid the toxicity levels.
- It should be then allowed to dry completely in sunshine or well-ventilated area. You can turn on the fan and open the doors and windows.
- Use Vacuum for the powder: for the residue if left, use vacuum. You can use vacuum otherwise too.
- Return the mattress to the bed: it is all done. You may take preventive measures to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
2. For a wet stain:
- Blot up as much of urine as possible: you can use a sponge over the urine to blot it up. If the sponge gets wet, grab another one and wring it out.
- Dampen the area: this will lead to dilution of the urine and do blot out more. You should repeat until the odour is gone. You can also use alcohol to kill the bacteria, vinegar is another recommendation.
- Allow to dry completely: allow the area to dry by turning the fan on, opening the windows and getting sunshine on the area which used to have stain.